Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative of the world in which we live and work. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better we will be and the better we will be able to serve our customers. All employment decisions at Digital Edge are made without regard to age, race, creed, colour, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, disability status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, citizenship status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Senior Legal Counsel (Japan)
Japan・Full-time・Competitive salary with discretionary annual bonus・Opportunity for equity participation (carry)
Digital Edge (Japan) is seeking a Senior Legal Counsel to join its legal department to provide legal advice to its operations across a wide array of legal matters affecting the Company’s business operations in Japan. The position is based in Tokyo, Japan, and reports directly to the Company’s Chief Legal Officer with a dotted line to the Country Manager of Japan. This position will afford significant development opportunities with broad exposure across the platform of companies throughout Asia Pacific and will work closely with the leaders of the wider business.
In this role you will:
• Provide legal support in respect of the Company’s strategic acquisitions, mergers, partnerships and/or other undertakings in Japan.
• Provide legal support in respect of the Company’s financing activities, including short term, long term, and syndicated loan agreements in Japan.
• Develop and launch various legal and compliance programmes (e.g., anti-corruption, gift and entertainment, third party intermediaries, trade sanctions, document retention, privacy, contract management, etc.) across the Platform.
• Develop and conduct employee training programmes in respect the foregoing, using a combination of in-person, web-enabled and train-the-trainer type programmes.
• Advise on a myriad of legal issues affecting the Company’s operations in Japan, as well as other markets, in respect of its day-to-day operations including, but not limited to, general contracting, compliance, litigation, financing, securities, human resources, regulatory, tax and intellectual property matters.
• Law degree or equivalent degree with qualification to practice law in Japan.
• 10-15 years PQE, with solid performance in both domestic and international general corporate, commercial and contract law.
• Knowledge/experience related to data center development and operations is required.
• Excellent drafting and negotiation skills a must.
• Decision maker able to interact with senior business leaders, customers, management, outside counsel and business partners.
• Strong communications skills and a demonstrated ability to work in an unstructured, fast-paced environment.
• Understanding of different cultures and legal systems and ability to make fast, accurate on the spot decisions in respect of complex legal issues facing multinational companies.
• Fluent in both verbal and written English and Japanese a must.